Safety Tips for Tourists
- Although you can drink Grahamstown's tap (faucet) water if in doubt drink bottled water which is easily available.
- Grahamstown has good doctors and dentists in the event of a medical emergency.
- It is best to wear a hat and sunscreen during the day in summer and keep an anorak or light jacket handy when temperatures fluctuate as it has been said that Grahamstown experiences all 4 seasons in a day. Our July winters can be freezing.
- Grahamstown and surrounds have no malaria or bilharzia.
Makana Tourism regrets that it cannot offer:
- Financial assistance
- Replacement of stolen items
- Insurance or legal advice
Out and about in Grahamstown/Makana and Frontier Country:
- Make a copy of your ID document and keep it in the safe at your hotel or BnB.
- Don’t carry more money that you intend to spend during the day or wear a discrete money belt.
- Be alert when withdrawing money from an ATM.
- Plan your route beforehand so that you don’t have to check a map on the street.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Walk purposefully and confidently.
- Keep to populated areas and avoid deserted streets at night especially if you are alone.
- Avoid taking short-cuts through deserted areas/parks/trails down Gun Fire Hill, particularly after dark.
- Mind your belongings especially in crowded areas. Use a bag with a strap that loops over your head and goes across your body.
- Don’t bring attention to yourself by wearing expensive jewellery or by showing fancy cameras/luggage.
- If you are renting a car make sure it is in good working order and check that windows and doors work properly before you leave the rental premises.
- Drive with your doors locked.
- Never leave luggage or valuables visible inside a parked car or attached to a roof rack.
- Park in well-lit areas at night and ask your accommodation provider if they have secure parking facilities.
- If you are travelling on to a remote area inform somebody where you are going.
- Camp in approved sites only and never pitch a tent in an open space or public area.
Grahamstown Emergency Numbers:
AA RESCUE 0800 111 997
DAY HOSPITAL 046 622 3033
DENTIST 046 622 8503
ELECTRICITY & WATER 046 603 6000
FIRE BRIGADE 046 622 4444 / 046 622 2923
LOCKSMITH 082 556 9975
PHARMACY 082 077 0040
POLICE 046 603 9152 / 046 603 9111
SAFE HOUSE 082 374 0937
SETTLERS HOSPITAL 046 602 5000