Makana Tourism is hiring
Monday, 2nd September 2019
MARKETING DESTINATION OFFICER
About the Job
Makana Tourism has a vacancy for a Marketing Destination Officer at 63 High Street in Grahamstown / Makhanda. The incumbent will research the tourism market, plan and carry out marketing, promotion, fundraising and public relations activities for Makana Tourism.
Seniority Level: Mid-level
Industry: Tourism destination promotion
Employment Type: 2 year contract with 6 months’ probation
Job Functions: Marketing, PR, Sales
• Assist the Director as required
• Assist with the compilation of the annual media and promotions plan and budget
• Monitor media, suggest the placing of advertisements; update and produce and distribute marketing materials
• Maintain records and report on all marketing activities undertaken
• Produce and distribute press releases and other communication to gain maximum positive exposure for Makana Tourism and Grahamstown / Makhanda
• Remain aware of tourism developments in the local and international markets pertaining to the Makana region and contribute to the annual business and marketing strategic planning
• Plan, coordinate and implement tourism promotions
• Monitor and coordinate brand application and compliance on all material visible to clients and stakeholders
• Undertake fundraising initiatives with board members and tourism stakeholders and keep records
• Represent Makana Tourism at networking events and trade shows
• Source, coordinate and manage services from marketing providers
• Increase Tourism membership
• Liaise with Tourism members to motivate marketing initiatives for their products and services to provide a holistic tourism experience in Grahamstown / Makhanda
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• A national diploma or degree in Marketing or public relations with at least five (5) years’ relevant marketing and PR experience in the Tourism industry preferably with exposure to conferencing and events (MICE)
• Must have viable contacts in the inbound tour operator industry within our traditional markets
• Knowledge of the marketing environment surrounding MICE
• Writing skills
• Attention to detail
• Understanding of brand application
• Negotiation skills
• Computer literate – Windows, Email, Powerpoint, Excel spreadsheets, PDF
• Own reliable transport and driver’s licence
Closing date: 30 November, 2019
CV and motivation letter to be emailed to: The Director, Makana Tourism :– email@example.com.
If you do not have the necessary qualifications, experience and skills, please do not apply for this position.
Please note that feedback will be given to shortlisted candidates only.
Established in 1960 originally as the Grahamstown Publicity Association, Makana Tourism is a Non-Governmental, Public Benefits Organisation responsible for marketing tourism to Grahamstown / Makhanda and the Makana region of the Eastern Cape.
Makana Tourism is an equal opportunity employer. As such it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998.
By applying for this position at Makana Tourism, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that Makana Tourism will 1) Solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and / or the SAPS as this position requires trust, honesty and entails the handling of cash and finances, and 2) Verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history.
Makana Tourism reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.